Social Enterprise Resource Guide
From Social Enterprise Program Resources
Nonprofit Board Resources
Governance of Nonprofit Boards
- The Board of Directors - Presentation by Randall Quan, Managing Director of the Community Resource Exchange (CRE), to NBLP participants, October 2010. Also see other CRE nonprofit tools online provided by CRE (for boards, finances, HR, and fundraising).
- BoardSource - Organization dedicated to building effective non-profit boards. Publishes board-related resources and tools.
- Nonprofit Boards 101 - From Bridgestar, an initiative of the Bridgespan Group.
- Board Commitment letter - From SE Toolbelt site which has a ton of resources for nonprofits and social venture startups, and is very easy to search.
- Sample Bylaws and useful resources about Bylaws from Grantspace (Foundation Center affiliated website).
Social Impact Measurement
- From Insight to Action – A report by FSG Advisors focused on foundations’ approaches to evaluation.
- Double Bottom Line Project Report: Assessing Social Impact in Double Bottom Line Ventures – A report that outlines several different approaches to social impact measurement with example templates and other tools.
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation Evaluation Handbook - Kellogg Foundation handbook for conducting project-level evaluations.
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation Evaluation Handbook templates - templates referenced in the Evaluation Handbook.
- Simple Measures for Social Enterprise - Innovations Journal article by Brian Trelstad (Acumen Fund CIO) on Acumen Fund’s approach to performance management.
- Learning for Social Impact by McKinsey's Social Sector Office
- Foundation Center: Tools and Resources for Assessing Social Impact (TRASI) - Database for approaches to impact assessment, guidelines for creating and conducting an assessment, and ready-to-use tools for measuring social change.
- Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN)'s Impact Reporting and Investment Standards (IRIS) Initiative - Initiative developed to provide a common reporting language for impact-related terms and metrics.
- Responsible Endowments Coalition- Fosters social and environmental change by making responsible investment common practice amongst colleges and universities, and supports the next generation of activists with a new and powerful toolkit.
- Business of a Better World: Works with its global network of more that 250 member companies to develop sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration.
- Outcome indicators from the Urban Center, by sector
- Foundation Finder - Database from the Foundation Center offering basic information on grantmakers in the U.S.
- 11 Innovative Crowdfunding platforms (also Mashables is decent site for social media news); another list of 13 crowdfunding sites from Nonprofit Quarterly.
- Philanthropy New York's Grantseeker resources and links.
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation Logic Model Development Guide - Step-by-step guide to developing program logic models.
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation Logic Model Templates - Templates to accompany the Kellogg Foundation's Logic Model Development Guide.
- Simplified Strategic Planning Process from SE Toolbelt site - a great resource that can be searched for nonprofits and social venture startups.
- Tools for Nonprofit Recruiting - Bridgestar tools, templates and best practices for recruiting and hiring in the nonprofit sector.
Nonprofit Finance and Accounting
- Diagram of a Form 990 - from the Foundation Center
- Diagram of a Form 990-PF - from the Foundation Center
- Understanding Nonprofit Capital Structure by Clara Miller (Nonprofit Quarterly article)
- Demystifying the 990-PF - Free online course from the Foundation Center.
- 990 Finder - Foundation Center searchable database of form 990 and 990-PF.
- How to Read the IRS Form 990 and Find Out What it Means - Guide from the Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York.
Social Media Guide by Sree Sreenivasan (Columbia J-School)